Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 145 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Member of the Week
The member of the week is animations3
Poll

What are your favourite multiplayer modes?

New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap26%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 26% [ 7 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap4%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap7%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 7% [ 2 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap0%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap7%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 7% [ 2 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap19%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap22%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 22% [ 6 ]
New Super Mario Bros. Vote_lcap15%New Super Mario Bros. Vote_rcap 15% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 27

New Super Mario Bros.

5 posters

:: Gaming :: Game Reviews

Go down

New Super Mario Bros. Empty New Super Mario Bros.

Post by animations3 Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:25 am

-Background Info-
Yep. This title is definitely weird. New Super Mario Bros.? I mean, it's been out for at least three years now, and it's still new? What are they gonna call the another remake, if there is one? Super new? Mega new? Ultra new? Uber new? To hell with that. Moving on...

-Story-
This game is more or less a remake of the classic Mario games. Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser, Mario travels through several worlds and castles, fighting bosses along the way, et cetera, et cetera. You get the point. The only real difference in the story is that the one who kidnaps Peach is Baby Bowser, but you do get to fight Bowser himself.

-Gameplay-
As I mentioned before, this game is a remake of the other Mario games, but there is definitely nothing boringly old about it. Sure, you can only get to use two buttons and the D-pad, and sure, the aim of the game is to jump on the heads of walking mushrooms, but there are definitely many features that keep the game interesting. For starters, the stage itself can make a difference, and the developers definitely made sure that every stage was different. And they succeeded. New power-ups such as the mini mushroom, the mega mushroom and the blue shell have definitely improved the game, although the said power-ups don't appear very often. Most of the time, you will be dealing with mushrooms and fire flowers, which are still fun, although they have appeared in virtually every Mario game there is.

As if the main game wasn't enough. There is also a minigames sections, where there are quite a few games to play. They are fun and definitely a useful way to spend your time. As if to compensate for the lack of touch screen controls in the main game, all of the games are played using the touch screen. However, as described in the name "minigames", these games are truly mini and will not usually last for any more than five minutes, unless you are really skilled.

-Graphics-
You may think that not much work has been done with the graphics of a 2-D platformer. Well if you thought that, you are wrong. The game uses 3-D objects and they usually have a "fun" bounce to them. Blocks will tend to bend outward before disappearing into thin air, and Goombas (the little evil mushroom dudes) will turn into a thin but visible pancake before disappearing as well.

-Sound-
Hmm... Remakes usually recycle old music and remix some others, and this game is no exception. However, you can never get sick of that classic Mario tune. Sound effects have also been re-used, but there are plenty of new ones too. That distinctive ding sound when you collect a coin is still there, as well as that weird sound when you get a mushroom or fire flower. Recycling old music is usually bad and makes the game boring, but I suppose that the Mario themes and sounds are so good that they just never get old.

-Final Comments and Rating-
I've always liked playing Mario games, and games that include Mario (like Super Smash Bros. Brawl. BTW my favourite character is Kirby, not Mario. Mario sucks). To me, there is pretty much nothing bad about it. The only thing that I dislike is the lack of replay value, but then again all games eventually get old. Overall, this game is awesome, and anybody with a DS should get it. Including all you hardcore FPS gamers out there. It's a good way to spend an afternoon.

9.5/10
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

New Super Mario Bros. Empty Re: New Super Mario Bros.

Post by catseye626 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:29 am

Wow...a 9.5? I would personally give it a 6. Really it's almost the same as all the other mario games (2D ones) but it just adds several touch features. Honestly though that's really the case with all Mario games, they just add or take a few characters, throw in a few maps and moves and BAM! the new Super Smash Brothers or Mario Kart.
catseye626
catseye626
General
General

Hero

http://au.gamespot.com/users/catseye626/

Back to top Go down

Post by animations3 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:31 am

Hey! You know Gamespot gave it a 9? Yes! Gamespot! And the touch features on the actual game are virtually non-existent.
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by catseye626 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:40 am

That's because GameSpot dont rate it personally. Gamespot rate it like a new game without really taking into account the previous games. So if this game was completely new and no other mario games came before it, i too may give it a 9 out of 10.

And if you look up Super Mario 64 DS, its comment is "Super Mario 64 DS is a great update of a classic game."
note the update
catseye626
catseye626
General
General

Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by animations3 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:44 am

fine then. But it was a good time waster. Maybe I should get to reviewing Pokemon later. Hehe.
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by flyingcow21 Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:10 am

Go review pokemon. i bet everyone would love to see it. Very Happy
flyingcow21
flyingcow21
Major General
Major General

Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by animations3 Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 am

which one?
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by PoPLiCiouS Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:43 am

Me personally would like to see every pokemon game Smile
But then, to make it easier for you, Platinum, Pearl/Diamond, Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald and Leaf Green/Fire Red/Water Blue(?) would do just fine. I believe Platinum is a must since it is the latest one.
PoPLiCiouS
PoPLiCiouS
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thug

Back to top Go down

Post by catseye626 Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:46 am

The classic ones would be nice Very Happy
catseye626
catseye626
General
General

Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by animations3 Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:16 am

Too bad i've never actually played the old ones Sad Maybe you can do it?
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by catseye626 Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 am

animations3 wrote:Too bad i've never actually played the old ones Sad Maybe you can do it?

Dude having never finished Pokemon Blue (because i was too scared) i dont think im in a position to review it
catseye626
catseye626
General
General

Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by purgertheevil Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:02 pm

Well animation3 since you are a nintendo fanboy, you gave it a 9.5. i personally believe it should be reated 6.8 because yes, its something you could do in your spare time, and second its like the other marios but 'upgraded' with some weirdass features. And since you are really into pokemon, shouldn't you have played the classic pokemon games, even i played it!
purgertheevil
purgertheevil
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Infamous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Gaming :: Game Reviews

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum