Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 145 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Member of the Week
The member of the week is animations3
Poll

What are your favourite multiplayer modes?

Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap26%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 26% [ 7 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap4%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap7%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 7% [ 2 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap0%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap7%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 7% [ 2 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap19%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap22%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 22% [ 6 ]
Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_lcap15%Computer problems diagnosed here! Vote_rcap 15% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 27

Computer problems diagnosed here!

+4
JayProBii
mrfujiv1
T0x1x
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
8 posters

Go down

Computer problems diagnosed here! Empty Computer problems diagnosed here!

Post by Tiny_plaid_ninjas Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:17 am

Simply post what's wrong with your computer, I'll ask you anything else I need to know, or I might tell you to do something, and then, you'll know what's wrong and possibly how to fix it.
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Computer problems diagnosed here! Empty Re: Computer problems diagnosed here!

Post by T0x1x Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Ok, i used to be a pretty big PC gamer, but my computer has slowly turned to the suck. I don't have enough money to buy a new comp, and this one runs so slow, you would think it had a couple thousand viruses (which it doesn't, i checked with McCafe). It takes well over 15 minutes to boot, which is completely unreasonable, and little things, like opening the start menu take 15 seconds! what's up with my computer? is there any cheap way i can delete some crap off my comp automatically? I tried a program called CCleaner, and that killed 6 gb (!?!?) of cookies... any suggestions to get her running faster?
T0x1x
T0x1x
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfujiv1 Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:02 pm

have you got thr factory back up cd's?? one way is to reboot your system and restore it to an eailer date.
mrfujiv1
mrfujiv1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Hero

http://au.gamespot.com/users/Mr_Fujiv1/

Back to top Go down

Post by T0x1x Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:27 pm

Yeah, i thought about doing that, but don't you lose all the data then? i have a 1 TB external hard drive, but im afraid it's gonna take years to put everything on there. Any fast ways to get it cruising quicker without losing data or a large part of my life....
T0x1x
T0x1x
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by JayProBii Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:51 am

Get a maintenance program, it might smooth things out. There is one in the software thread.
JayProBii
JayProBii
General
General

Hero

http://au.gamespot.com/users/JayProBii/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny_plaid_ninjas Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am

Haha. Yeah, he's right, Tune up utilities is great stuff. Also, could you post the specs on your pc?
Some tips for tune up utilities, be sure to check out the start up manager, and clean up some stuff in your start up menu. Crap cleaner has one too, but it misses a few things.
You can get some cheap upgrades too, like some extra ram, and overclocking your cpu (google that, its complex).
Oh, and what os are you using?
If worst comes to worst, reformat!
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by T0x1x Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:06 pm

I'm not totally sure on what all my specific specs are, but it's a Dell Dimension 5100 running Windows XP. Its a family comp, so i don't think that my parents would want me overclocking it (ive heard about that). They freaked out when i deleted AOL as our default browser and replaced it with the much better Google Chrome Very Happy
T0x1x
T0x1x
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosin_Master Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 am

T0x1x wrote:I'm not totally sure on what all my specific specs are, but it's a Dell Dimension 5100 running Windows XP. Its a family comp, so i don't think that my parents would want me overclocking it (ive heard about that). They freaked out when i deleted AOL as our default browser and replaced it with the much better Google Chrome Very Happy

Go the Chrome, anyway if its a family computer there is probably no point in overclocking it as it would not cause much of a performance difference.
Mosin_Master
Mosin_Master
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Hero

http://au.gamespot.com/users/iliuminator/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny_plaid_ninjas Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:20 am

You know, this is a big problem with windows, that the computer inexplicably just slows down over time. I recommend you back everything up and reformat. If it takes too long, just leave it to back up overnight.
Now, instructions for reformatting. I'm sure you already know how, but there's a better way. Download a thingo called parted magic, it's a partition editor. Now, reformat the partion, or whole hard drive if you like. It'll take about a minute. Put the xp disc in, and when it asks you if you'd like to reformat the partition, say no and just install, because you just formatted it much more quickly. Install as usual. Once you're done, go back to parted magic, and use the backup utility to clone the partition you just installed windows on. This means that in future, if the computer screws up again, you can just restore to the cloned image easily.
Also, I've noted your pc is extremely low in ram and hd space. You can get some cheap ddr2 stickks for about 50 buck aus, and a new 500gb western digital caviar green hdd for 90 bucks aus.
If you need help installing them, just ask.
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by purgertheevil Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:22 pm

Have you ever leave on at night?
I had two computers and they were really fast, but when i left the computer on, for long period( overnight) it tends to go slower.
purgertheevil
purgertheevil
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Infamous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny_plaid_ninjas Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:52 am

Ah hah. That is an unfortunate problem with windows. It's called memory leaking, where programs start draining more and more memory the longer you leave on windows. For tasks like serverness, or downloading, I recommend you use ubuntu, as linux systems can run for a whole year and more without downtime. Otherwise, let your comp run for a night, open task manager, and see what's hogging all your ram.
More ram won't solve anything, as xp can only take 3 gbs of ram, and vista 32 bit and windows 7 32 bit can only take 4 gb of ram.
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by purgertheevil Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:00 pm

yeah just tell him to take linux mate, i dont think its a good solution, because pretty much you telling him to convert all of his computers to linux and tadah! there are no problems with our computer No
purgertheevil
purgertheevil
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Infamous

Back to top Go down

Post by catseye626 Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:19 am

Purgertheevil i know this is unrelated to the topic however would you please talk PROPERLY in this forum? "pretty much you telling him". Typing a couple of extra words ain't hard and it makes a pretty big difference to what you're trying to say.
catseye626
catseye626
General
General

Hero

http://au.gamespot.com/users/catseye626/

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor Devil Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:58 am

tiny_plaid_ninjas, essentially you are saying that Linux is much better and for him to get Linux.

Anyhow, all hard drives will gradually slow down no matter what Operating system you are using. All 32 bit systems can only recognise 4gb of memory (which also includes things like video memory).

64 bit systems can address 16 exabytes of memory (1 exabyte = 1 billion gigabytes). In terms of getting rid of crap, you can simply reformat or you can use the programs in the posts above. System restore generally will help little because it mainly focuses on restoring changes to the memory, so the majority of files will not change or be removed, mainly only system files.
Razor Devil
Razor Devil
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Infamous

http://au.gamespot.com/users/Razor-Devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiny_plaid_ninjas Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:44 am

Yes, but xp memory leaks. I'm not saying he should just change to linux all out, but linux is better at tasks like serverness. And plus, if you like, you can just as easily dual boot it.
Plus, you need to convert only, 1, as linux is compatible with windows (duh!)
The best solution is probably the simplest one, let the comp run over night, find the memory leaking process, and terminate them.
Or better yet, if you dont trust me, google xp memory leaking.
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
Tiny_plaid_ninjas
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Razor Devil Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:25 am

Most of the time it is programs that are responsible for memory leak and not the operating system.
Razor Devil
Razor Devil
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Infamous

http://au.gamespot.com/users/Razor-Devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down