Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 145 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm
Member of the Week
The member of the week is animations3
Poll

What are your favourite multiplayer modes?

Red Faction Vote_lcap26%Red Faction Vote_rcap 26% [ 7 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap4%Red Faction Vote_rcap 4% [ 1 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap7%Red Faction Vote_rcap 7% [ 2 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap0%Red Faction Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap7%Red Faction Vote_rcap 7% [ 2 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap19%Red Faction Vote_rcap 19% [ 5 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap22%Red Faction Vote_rcap 22% [ 6 ]
Red Faction Vote_lcap15%Red Faction Vote_rcap 15% [ 4 ]

Total Votes : 27

Red Faction

2 posters

:: Gaming :: Game Reviews

Go down

Red Faction Empty Red Faction

Post by animations3 Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:17 am

-Story-
In the year 2075, citizens are migrating to Mars in hopes of a better life. Most people work as miners for the Ultor Corporation, but soon feel like their life just got a lot worse. Miners are being abused, assaulted and even killed, and rebellion starts to spark. You take control of Parker, who decided to move to Mars, just like the other people before him. What he doesn't know is that miners get treated badly, and a rebellion, known as the Red Faction, were spread wide throughout the mining community. Upon arrival, Parker gets taken in by Orion, a senior Red Faction member, and is trained in the "arts". When the game truly starts, there is a fight between an Ultor member and a miner. The argument escalates, and the miner takes out a control baton and kills the Ultor member. The miner, however, immediately gets shot by the surrounding soldiers, while Parker runs to collect the control baton, ready for his first kill.

-Gameplay-
The game uses the Geo-Mod engine, which allows you to destroy the surrounding environment. The game even emphasises this by creating small hidden rooms with no purpose, but just to show the destructible environment. Since this game is quite old, the actions and graphics may seem a little out of touch. Nevertheless, there is a large variety of weapons for the player to utilise, and they are quite fun to use, too. Weapons such as the rail driver allow you to shoot through walls with the use of a heat detecting scope, while the precision rifle combines the speed of a pistol, the power of an assault rifle and the accuracy of a sniper and puts a scope on the top of it. The game gets a little dull, though, as there is only one type of enemy until about halfway through the game, when rail driver-wielding mercenaries come out shoot you. Obviously, if you get shot, chances are, you die.

-Graphics-
Not bad for a game made in 2000 (I think). The graphics are decent, as holes blown into walls would normally have flat walls around them. I don't think the producers cared too much for graphics, as there are several strange occurences in-game. For example, when you look in the mirror and reload, you see your own hands unloading the clip and so forth. However, in the mirror, your reflection does nothing.

-Sound-
The sounds are quite good, and personally, I like the sound of the rail driver firing. It's like the sound of a car driving by, except much fainter and doesn't last as long. An issue, however, especially with machine guns, is that the sound not always syncs with the bullets being fired. Maybe it's just me, but I had constant disruptions of sound when using the machine gun. Overall, it's good.

-Final Comments and Rating-
Red Faction is a good FPS, and it sure is fun. However, there are some problems which may or may not be overlooked. Many are just minor problems, like un-sync'ed sound effects and fail mirrors, but some big problems like the sudden difficulty increases just can't be ignored.

7.5/10
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Red Faction Empty Re: Red Faction

Post by catseye626 Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:28 am

You review Red Faction rather than Red Faction 3....i mean honestly I'd much rather hear a review on Red Faction 3 than Red Faction however good the original was.
catseye626
catseye626
General
General

Hero

http://au.gamespot.com/users/catseye626/

Back to top Go down

Post by animations3 Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 am

i felt like working my way up. Besides, there's some stuff in Red Faction 3 that relates to this

Last edited by animations3 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
animations3
animations3
Major General
Major General

Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down